George Garretson House, built in 1895, is the first known house designed by architect Irving Gill in San Diego. The Classical Revival mansion was the first to be built on the block. George Garretson, who, in 1897 served as the Treasurer of the Pacific Wood and Coal Company, commissioned the young Irving Gill to design this residence. The Garrettson House was a modest first effort, although its Colonial Styling would have been seen as avant garde in San Diego at the time. Today the building is home to CRASH, Inc, a short-term intensive residential treatment program for adult women.
Last modified: June 21, 2022